Restek Refined Biodiesel Solutions: Innovative Products for Simple, Reliable Biodiesel Analysis
Innovative Products for Simple, Reliable Biodiesel Analysis
- A full suite of products to meet EN and ASTM method specifications for biodiesel analyses, including glycerin, FAMEs, and methanol.
- Metal and fused silica GC columns engineered specifically for high-performance, high-temperature biodiesel work.
- GC accessories, reference standards, and sample preparation products to simplify your lab work and increase productivity.
Biodiesel is one of the most popular alternative fuels available today. However, because it is a natural product—easily produced from rapeseed, sunflowers, soy, tallow, lard, yellow grease, and other sources—it is also a challenge to analyze. This complex matrix with high–boiling compounds requires selective and robust analytical GC columns to generate consistently reliable data.
The EN and ASTM methods used to test the quality of biodiesel fuels can be categorized into three types based on the target compounds: ASTM D6584 and EN 14105 test for total glycerin, EN 14103 tests for fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs), and EN 14110 tests for residual methanol. These methods may be performed using either fused silica or metal columns, but the column chosen must have extremely high temperature tolerance. Restek Pure Chromatography is your first and best choice for biodiesel analyses.
Restek offers both fused silica and metal columns designed to meet ASTM and EN method specifications for high-temperature biodiesel analysis. Specifically, the Rtx-Biodiesel TG, MXT-Biodiesel TG, Stabilwax, and Rtx-1 column lines offer outstanding performance for biodiesel testing. And our MXT columns with Integra-Gap integrated retention gaps go a step farther by eliminating guard column coupling completely and, therefore, are 100% leak proof! We also offer a full suite of reference standards, sample preparation products, and accessories.
Browse through the Restek products, resources, and chromatograms on this page and contact us when you are ready to improve the results and productivity of your biodiesel lab.
- Linearity for all reference compounds exceeds method requirements.
- Columns with retention gaps feature Alumaseal connectors to prevent leaks and extend column life.
- Low column bleed at high temperatures.
- For glycerin and glycerides analysis, according to ASTM D6584 and EN 14105 methods.
- Stable to 380 °C.
- Fast analysis times and sharp mono-, di-, and triglyceride peaks.
- Stable at 430 °C for reliable, consistent performance.
polar phase; Crossbond polyethylene glycol
- Low-bleed PEG column ensures long column lifetimes.
- Temperature range: 40 °C to 260 °C.
- Equivalent to USP G14, G15, G16, G20, and G39 phases.
Supplies & Accessories
- Replace active hydrogen, reducing polarity and making the compounds more volatile.
- Increase stability of derivatives.
- Usable to 400 °C inlet temperature.*
- New plasma coating eliminates sticking in the injection port.
- Precision molding ensures consistent, accurate fit.
- Septa have a CenterGuide design to minimize coring. (Not available on 9.5 mm, 10 mm, and Shimadzu Plug.)
- 5 mm and 11 mm septa are partially predrilled.
- Preconditioned and ready to use.
- Packaged in ultra-clean blister packs.**
- Each batch GC-FID tested.
- Bleed and temperature optimized; ideal for demanding GC and GC-MS applications.
- Proton exchange membrane (PEM) cell eliminates the need for liquid electrolytes.
- Reliably generate 99.9995% pure hydrogen
—for better chromatography.
- Eliminates high-pressure cylinders
—greater convenience and improved lab safety.
- Compact unit, requiring only one square foot of bench space.
- Quick and easy to service and maintain; unique display lighting changes color for easy status checks and water level indication.
- Comes with a set of universal power adapters for U.S., European, and Asian plug types.
- Automatic safety feature shuts the generator down if a hydrogen leak is detected.
- Warranty: one year from date of purchase on system and two years from date of purchase on cell life.
for Agilent 5890/6850/6890 GCs
Engineered with a fluted tip to guide the capillary column into the jet.
for Agilent 5890/6850/6890/7890 GCs
for Agilent 5890/6850/6890/7890 FIDs
- Securely grips jet in socket for easy removal or installation.
- Unique, ergonomic handle
—easy to hold.
New and improved! Prevent small leaks from causing big problems with a Restek leak detector.
- Detects a broad range of gases and indicates leak severity with both an LED display and audible tone.
- No more waiting for a full charge—can be operated during charging or used up to 12 hours between charges.
- Charging kit includes both universal AC power adaptor and USB charging cable so you can charge anywhere, anytime.
- Pinpoint very small gas leaks quickly and accurately before they cause damage and downtime.
- Compact, handheld unit is easy to operate and convenient to use anywhere you need to check for leaks.
Using metal columns to analyze glycerides in biodiesel offer significant performance advantages compared to fused silica columns, as shown in this evaluation.
High Temp. Stability Problem Solved with New Metal Columns - Analysis of Total Glycerides in Biodiesel Oils by ASTM D-6584 Using New MXT-Biodiesel TG Capillary Columns
The high temperatures required for biodiesel analysis by gas chromatography present a considerable challenge to analytical columns. Fused silica columns, even those rated for high-temperature tolerance, breakdown relatively quickly. Restek’s new MXT-Biodiesel columns are more stable up to 430°C and offer excellent chromatography for glycerides. These columns are available in two configurations: factory-coupled to a 0.53mm retention gap, or with a built-in, leak-proof Integra-Gap retention gap.
We challenged our Rtx-Biodiesel column with analysis for glycerin in biodiesel according to method ASTM D-6584-00. Excellent linearity was established for glycerin, triolein, monolein, and diolein, with r2 values exceeding the method criteria for all compounds. Mono-, di-, and triglycerides resolved well from other compounds in B100 biodiesel oil. Column performance was strong at high temperatures, with low bleed even at 380°C. An Alumaseal connector and guard column were used to extend column life.
This flyer includes data demonstrating the performance of recommended GC columns for the analysis of total glycerin, fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs), and residual methanol in biodiesel. Features a comparison of metal and fused silica columns. (PDF - 0MB)